Call for Applications for Youth Action Council on Transition
Seeking Youth Leaders & Adult Partners for this national training and youth leadership & advocacy opportunity.
Are you a youth, age 12-25, who wants to develop leadership and advocacy skills and become a leader in your community who improves opportunities and services for all youth?
Are you a professional or organization who wants to increase youth voice, leadership, and youth-adult partnerships within your organization and community?
If so, apply for the Youth Action Council on Transition (Youth ACT)!
The Youth Action Council on Transition (Youth ACT) is a national project to get more youth involved as leaders and partners with adults and youth-serving organizations to improve youth transition outcomes. NCWD/Youth will select four teams consisting of two emerging youth leaders (youth, ages 12-25, who have disabilities or are allies of the disability community), one adult partner, and a sponsoring organization to participate in this four-year initiative. Each team will:
- Attend the annual national training conference in Washington, D.C.
- Receive training in youth leadership and advocacy skills; youth-adult partnership strategies; youth transition policies; and issues affecting youth with disabilities.
- Create a local plan for how the team will work together year-round.
- Form and facilitate their own local youth peer group that will meet regularly to discuss youth transition issues and engage in leadership and advocacy activities.
- Participate in monthly national conference calls and quarterly webinars or video conferences with all the Youth ACT teams.
- Partner with NCWD/Youth to create national youth-driven materials and tools on youth leadership and transition topics and to develop a youth-driven national change agenda.
There’s no cost to participate and each Youth ACT team will receive a small stipend of $3,000 to use for team expenses. Youth ACT is led by the National Collaborative on Workforce and Disability for Youth (NCWD/Youth) at the Institute for Educational Leadership with funding from the U.S. Department of Labor’s Office of Disability Employment Policy (ODEP).
The application deadline is September 27, 2013 (Deadline Extension just announced this week). Learn more about this opportunity and download the application online at: http://www.ncwd-youth.info/youth-act.
Questions? Contact NCWD/Youth at email@example.com or ph. (202) 822-8405 Ext. 145.